Tim’s 4th-great-grandfather, Josiah Sweet, son of Joshua and Eliza Mary (Hurd) Sweet, was born 20 February 1796 in Roxbury (Litchfield) Connecticut, and died 28 January 1880 in Big Spring-New Haven (Adams) Wisconsin. He married 20 November 1819 in (St. Lawrence) New York, Eunice Day, who was born 8 June 1800 in (Washington) New York, and died 1 September 1871 in Big Spring, daughter of Lemuel and Lydia (—) Day.
Josiah was a farmer and Eunice was a homemaker. They lie buried in Big Spring Cemetery in Big Spring, Wisconsin.
Eunice & Josiah were the parents of fourteen children, all born in Depeyster (St. Lawrence) New York:
1. Clarinda Sweet (Tim’s 3rd-great-grandmother), born 22 September 1820, died 9 February 1875 in Macomb (St. Lawrence) New York. She married 8 July 1840, Henry Charles Raven, who was born 11 December 1820 in Merrickville, Upper Canada [now Ontario] and died 5 January 1892 in Natural Dam-Gouverneur (St. Lawrence) New York, son of Peter George and Sabrina (Cummins) Raven. Clarinda & Henry were the parents of twelve children.
2. Orilla Sweet, born 3 October 1821, died 28 April 1823 in Depeyster, age 1.
3. Eliza A. Sweet, born 1 January 1823, died 26 April 1891 in Macomb. She married about 1842 in (St. Lawrence), James Truax, who was born 23 May 1820 in New York, and died 5 May 1884 in Macomb, son of John and Rachel (Hanmore) Truax. Eliza & James were the parents of twelve children.
4. Julia Sweet, born 2 July 1824. She married 5 July 1849 in Macomb, James H. Reed, who was born about 1826, son of Henry and Betsey (Reynolds) Reed.
5. Josiah Sweet, born 2 July 1826, died 8 May 1891 in Hale (Trempealeau) Wisconsin. He married Amelia Angelica Ottman, who was born 30 June 1832, daughter of David and Mary (Moak) Ottman. Josiah & Amelia were the parents of two children.
6. Eunice Anna Sweet, born 14 May 1829, died 29 October 1897 in Hermon (St. Lawrence) New York. She married 16 February 1852, Daniel R. Reed, who was born 20 September 1823, and died 14 July 1895 in Hermon, son of Daniel and Barbara (Reynolds) Reed. Eunice & Daniel were the parents of five children.
7. David Sweet, born 2 February 1831.
8. Stephen Foster Sweet, born 26 December 1832, died 27 January 1906 in (Adams) Wisconsin. He married about 1862, Elizabeth E. Wilbur, who was born 20 August 1839 in New York, and died 19 May 1901 in (Adams), daughter of Simpson and Jemima (Ostrander) Wilbur. Stephen & Elizabeth were the parents of four children.
9. Olivia Sweet, born 28 September 1834. She married Freeman M. Richardson, who was born in September 1831 in Vermont. Olivia & Freeman were the parents of eight children.
10. Celia A. Sweet, born 9 February 1837, died 29 June 1905 in (Columbia) Wisconsin. She married Amos Landt, who was born 3 February 1833 in Diana (Lewis) New York, and died 30 March 1874, son of Frederick and Anna (Edwards) Landt. Celia & Amos were the parents of four children.
11. Cora Maria Sweet, born 8 April 1839.
12. Edwin Dodge Sweet, born 8 April 1842, died 16 August 1864, age 22.
13. William Dallas Sweet, born 22 June 1844, died 24 May 1907.
14. John Wright Sweet, born 2 July 1846, died 30 July 1913 in Montana. He married 2 November 1868, Sarah Jane Town, who was born 2 November 1844 in New Hampshire, and died 11 September 1894 in (Columbia) Wisconsin, daughter of Aaron and Mary (—) Town. John & Sarah were the parents of five children.
Last Revised: 20 September 2021